Do I need to know if I want to teach in order to join the program?
No. Many students are unsure about whether or not they want to teach when they join the program. The desire to increase your knowledge about all aspects of yoga is the only criteria to join the 200 hour program. And completion of a 200 hour program is required to join the 500 hour program (which is a 300 hour program). Both programs are also for students who want to develop their practice, learn about yoga and those who think, or know, they want to teach yoga.
How long should I have been practicing yoga to join the 200 hour program?
The 200 hour program is designed to meet students where they are at. It is good to have a foundation to start from, but not necessary.
In fact, the second Living Yoga owner started practicing yoga at the same time that she joined the teacher training/develop your practice program. There is not a pre-requisite to have been practicing for a certain amount of time to join the program.
Can I try a Yoga class with the Program Director before joining the training?
Absolutely! Once you express an interest in the program, we invite you to take one of our classes for free so you can come and see the studio and we can meet so you can see if our style of teaching suits what you are looking for in a program.
Can I get a reference from a graduate of your program?
Yes, any of the graduates would be happy to meet with you or talk to you on the phone.
What are Other Hours?
Other Hours are additional contact (in person) hours YTT students complete to supplement the Yoga NH YTT Program. This category of hours part of the program because we have found that many YTT students may have a particular area of interest that they plan to focus on or want to take additional trainings and workshops during the training. (Or in some cases they already have workshops they completed prior to attending YTT.) Each location has various opportunities scheduled for you to choose from to obtain these hours. Hours do need to be completed with an approved teacher who is E-RYT200 or higher, or an expert in their field. Other hours (pre or post YTT) all need to be approved by your Program Director.
What is an Observation?
Observations vary depending on individual studio and teacher preferences. These hours are an opportunity for YTT students to join a regularly scheduled class for the purpose of observing the teaching style, class style, cueing, adjusts/assists, other students’ practice, variations/modifications, etc. There is no charge to observe, but YTT students must request at least 24 hours in advance to observe a class. YTT students will discuss their observations and questions with the teacher afterwards and send a writeup to their Program Director (unless that is who taught the class.)
What is Adjusting and Assisting?
Many teachers offer hands-on adjusts and assists to their students. This can also be offering the use of props or even demonstrating next to a student. Adjusts are corrections in form and alignment. Assists are inviting the student to deepen in the posture. YTT students may give hands-on adjusts and assists to other YTT students only after they have obtained yoga insurance with their Yoga NH location as Additional Insured and provided this to their Program Director.
What are the Practicum requirements?
In addition to the practicum hours done when the group meets face-to-face, YTT students are required to teach at least 7-8 hours on their own to gain experience. Practice teaching can be done with friends, family, co-workers, etc. While the requirement is small, the more you practice teach, the more comfortable you will be teaching “real” students towards the end of the program. For those who definitely want to teach yoga, we recommend teaching more than the required amount of hours to a variety of different students with various ages and abilities and class sizes.
What if I need to miss time?
We recognize that by signing up you are making a commitment and that you want to attend all sessions. However, we understand there may be time/s when you need to miss a session. Here is some information, yet subject to change, because we want to be flexible if/when it is appropriate to do so.
- Email, call or text your Program Director to let them know you cannot attend.
- Touch base with another student in the group about what you missed in the session. We encourage you to connect with other students during the first weekend via exchange of email, cell numbers and social media to connect when you miss a session and/or connecting the group overall.
- You may join the same session in another group (we’ll let you know the other locations that are running simultaneously once the program begins). You will first need to coordinate with your Program Director to confirm with the other Yoga NH Program Director that the material you missed is what will be covered in the session/s you can make up.
- You may complete additional outside hours (at your own cost) and/or attend additional yoga classes to observe with Brandy, Maureen, Christi or other Yoga NH Program Directors (no additional cost for observing or assisting). Please note, at least 85% of Core Hours need to be completed with Yoga NH.
- You may schedule time with your Yoga NH Program Director to cover the material you missed. 3 hours of material will be condensed to 1 hour at the rate of $100/hour.
- You may attend 300 hour workshops at a minimal cost of $25. Space is very limited and there are only 3 slots open per location.
What if all of my hours are not complete by graduation?
The expectation is that all of your hours will be complete by graduation. However, if your hours are not complete by graduation, we will hold your certificate and present that to you after your hours are complete and you have paid in full. Hours may be completed during a subsequent YTT program (space permitting) or according to our missed time policy as stated above.
Are there any other payment plan options or scholarships available?
Limited scholarships may be available and are reserved for those who are members of the Yoga NH community and/or an individual studio location affiliated with Yoga NH. We will give consideration to all who inquire and there may also be longer payment options available based on specific needs.
If I am already an RYT200 and teaching yoga, why would I consider signing up for the 300/500 hour program?
– With so many yoga teachers and more availability to teach, some locations may be more likely to hire a yoga teacher who has a higher level of training.
– To develop your own practice further, thereby offering more to your students.
– To advance your knowledge of certain techniques.
Most students who graduated from the 200 hour program have expressed the excitement of their own transformation during the program.
The 500 hour program will be another level of learning, growing, transforming. Living life on and off the mat at a deeper level….
determining what feeds your soul – teaching and personally.
What else can you tell me about Yoga NH’s program?
These are things that are important to us:
– Meeting students where they are at!
This applies to you – the students in the program and serves as foundation about how we suggest you lead classes for students you might eventually teach.
– Take what resonates for you – not all of what we say will resonate for you – it is your journey.
We are here to walk with you for a short time during your yoga journey. Some of what we say will resonate and fit for what you want to integrate into your practice or your teaching and some might not. It is your responsibility to be open, reflect and make choices
that fit for what is important to you in your practice and as a teacher.
– A ‘Wayne Dyer’ approach to philosophy – keep it simple and allow people the opportunity to absorb information/teachings
at their own pace. Live the 7 faces of Intention: creativity, kindness, love, beauty, expansiveness, abundance and receptivity.
– Deepak Chopra’s Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga – Pure Potentiality, Giving, Karma, Intention & Desire, Detachment,
Dharma/our purpose in life.
– Alliance for a New Humanity philosophy – Transform, Serve, Connect.